Triple Roller Mill – Principle, Construction, Diagram, Working, Applications
Triple Roller Mill is one of the equipment used for mixing purposes in various industries. It is also known as three roll mill.
Principle of Triple Roller Mill
A three roll mill or triple roller mill is a machine that uses shear force created by three horizontally positioned rolls rotating in opposite directions and at different speeds relative to each other, in order to mix, refine, disperse, or homogenize viscous materials fed into it.
Construction of Triple Roller Mill
- Triple roller mill consists of three rollers which are made up of hard abrasion-resistant material.
- These rollers are arranged in such a way that they come very close to each other.
- These rollers are rotated at different rates of speed. The material coming between the rollers is crushed depending on the gap between them and the difference in rates of movement of the two surfaces.
Diagram of Triple Roller Mill
Working of Triple Roller Mill
- The material after passing through the hopper comes between roller 1 and 2 and is reduced in size in the process.
- The gap between rollers 2 and 3 is usually less than that between 1 & 2, further, crush and smooth the mixture which adheres to the roller two.
- A scrapper is arranged in such a way that it can remove the mixed material from roller no.3. and does not allow the material which has not passed between both sets of the rollers to reach the scrapper.
Applications of Triple Roller Mill
- Triple roller mill is used to disperse material within a semi-viscous material such as cream.
- Triple roller mill is used in the homogenization during preparation of ointments, creams, pastes, doughs and other viscous preparations.
- Triple roller mill is used for mixing pharmaceutical, herbal and alternative medicine, chemicals and fine chemicals, food, agriculture, cosmetics and detergents, pigments, etc.
- Triple roller mill can also be used in mixing of coating compositions, composites, adhesives, sealants and foods.
- A Textbook of Pharmaceutics By Dr. Ashok Hajare, Nirali Prakshan
- Elements of Pharmaceutics by Shalini Verma, PV Books
- Concise Couse in Pharmaceutics by Md. Sadat Khan, C.B. Hagargekar, Dr. Kuchake and S.D. Tayade, PV Books