Double Cone Blender-Principle, Construction, Diagram, Working, Applications
Mixing is one of the most common pharmaceutical operations. It is difficult to find a pharmaceutical product in which mixing is not done at one stage or the other during its manufacturing. Double Cone Blender is one of the commonly used equipment for mixing ingredients.
Principle of Double Cone Blender
- The mixing occur due to tumbling motion.
- The Double Cone Blenders design is most often used for the intimate dry blending of free-flowing solids.
- The solids being blended in these units can vary in bulk density and in the percentage of the total mixture.
- Materials being blended are constantly being intermixed as the Double Cone rotates.
- Normal cycle times are typically in the range of 10 minutes; however, they can be less depending on the difficulty of blending.
- The conical shape at both ends enables uniform mixing and easy discharge.
Construction of Double Cone Blender
- All parts of equipments including mixing tank and blades are made of stainless steel.
- The equipment consist of two cones joined as a cylindrical section which is rotated about an axis on the shaft.
- The conical shape at both ends allows uniform mixing and easy discharge.
Working of Double Cone Blender
- The powder is filled up to two third of volume of blender to ensure proper mixing.
- The rate of rotation should be 30-100 revolutions per minute.
- On rotation mixing occurs due to tumbling motion. The product can be discharged from the bottom of the equipment.
- The mixing tank can be slanted freely at the angle of 0° to 360° degrees for discharging and cleaning purposes.
Advantages of Double Cone Blender
- Easy to maintain and clean.
- There are no chances of clogging of material into corners.
- Large amounts can be handled easily.
- It is efficient for mixing powders of different densities.
- Wear on equipment is little.
Disavantages of Double Cone Blender
- Not suitable for fine particles.
- Not suitable for particles with greater particle size difference due to less shear.
Applications of Double Cone Blender
- Double Cone Blender is efficient and versatile equipment for the homogeneous mixing of dry powders and granules. Dry powder mixing for tablets and capsule formulations.
2. Double Cone Blender can be used for pharmaceutical, food, chemical and cosmetic products etc.
- A Textbook of Pharmaceutics By Dr. Ashok Hajare, Nirali Prakshan
- Elements of Pharmaceutics by Shalini Verma, PV Books
- Concise Couse in Pharmaceutics by Md. Sadat Khan, C.B. Hagargekar, Dr. Kuchake and S.D. Tayade, PV Books